Thursday, February 28, 2008

Snowed In

After doing quite a bit of stumble!ing, I came across an article about a 27 year old graduate student who has discovered a more enhanced antibiotic. His new discovery was graciously noted, and he won $30,000. Anyways, if you'd like to read more, here's the link. The main point to this story is I've been thinking a lot about my personal capabilities. I mean, could I (or will I) do something of great importance in my life? I mean not for just me, but something important to others.
I read another article about a student who was diagnosed with a rare type of cancer. Chemo doesn't have any effects on it, and since only 300 people are diagnosed with this particular type of cancer a year, not much effort has been made to find a cure. Until this guy was diagnosed that is. He went to school to be an environmental engineer, but has since spent most of his time in a lab working on a cure for his own cancer. The guy is only 20! I don't think I could ever be that motivated, even if my life was on the line. I mean, how do you even begin to pursue something like that? Where do you even start?
I think I've hit a rough patch in realizing that this could be all I get. It's hard to think that everyday I waste being lazy is just a waste of time, time I'm not going to get back. Even if there is such a thing as life after death or reincarnation, what am I doing to appreciate and fulfill this life? Don't get me wrong, I love my life. I have the best friends, and I come from a good open minded family. I would never change any of that. However, the world is a big place filled with endless opportunities. I think it's time I start taking on some. I just need to start doing rather than just thinking. I have a problem with doing. I tend to just not do anything. I need to start thinking more about the overall reality of life I guess a little more. I spend so much time ignoring it because when I do think about life and that it's not forever, everything hits me too hard all at once and I have trouble breathing.
I'm going to tackle this issue slowly. Tomorrow since I don't have work and everyone is on break, I'm going to take a walk with the camera I haven't ever used. I'm going to appreciate what I have in front of me. That seems like the best thing to do before I can look at what I'm capable of, appreciating what I have available now.
It has snowed quite a bit in the past 24 hours. I'd say about 8 inches or so. Pretty much this means I have been stuck since we all know the corolla is not a fan of the snow. I really hope I can motivate myself to use my own two legs to get out tomorrow. There is one good thing to all this downtime however, I've been able to discover new music. I've been listening to a lot of the Beatles after watching Across the Universe. I never realized how good they truly are, mainly because of the overplaying of "Twist and Shout". Otherwise, it's all extremely good. Paul McCartney has such an amazing voice and raw style for a white guy in the 60's. I don't think I ever realized how much they've influenced music, especially rock. Paul often screams lyrics out of emotion, the same scream of emotions I see in more hardcore music today. I've also been listening to a lot of Feist, Yael Naim, Grizzly Bear, and Regina Spektor. Pretty much really mellow and soft music. I just listened to a Damien Rice Song that I think sums everything up perfectly....


Sleep, Don't Weep
Sleep, don't weep, my sweet love
Your face is all wet and your day was rough
So do what you must do to find yourself
Wear another shoe, or paint my shelf
Those times that I was broke, and you stood strong
I think I found a place where I...

Sleep, don't weep, my sweet love
Your face it's all wet 'cause our days were rough
So do what you must do to fill that hole
Wear another shoe to comfort the soul
Those times that I was broke, and you stood strong
I think I found a place where I feel I will...

Sleep, don't weep, my sweet love
My face it's all wet 'cause my day was rough
So do what you must do to find yourself
Wear another shoe, or paint my shelf
Those times that I was broke, and you stood strong
I hope I find a place where I feel I belong

Sleep, don't weep, my sweet love
My face is all wet 'cause my day was rough




No comments: